Pasted below is information that I received on the Aviation Benefits Photo Contest. Some of you may be interested.
Aviation Benefits Photo Contest
The International Civil Aviation Organization is holding a special competition in 2017 for photographers and photojournalists, both established and aspiring.
Eligible contestants are asked to submit, before 30 October 2017, one photograph and one caption of no more than 200 words. The content should seek to highlight and celebrate one or more of aviation’s many contributions to people, businesses and societies all over the world.
On International Civil Aviation Day this 7 December, the photo contest winners will be announced. Up until that date, ICAO will be posting selected submissions to our social media feed, and making all entries available for viewing in a dedicated online gallery.
Prizes will be awarded as follows:
- 1 X US$2,500 grand prize
- 2 X US$500 honourable mention awards for two additional contestants
- Free exposure (with prominent credit) for many other contestants, whether on ICAO’s social media feeds or in its global campaigns and publications.
What kind of photo are we looking for?
The list below provides a few suggestions for the types of content participants might wish to consider focusing on for the ICAO Aviation Benefits Photo Contest.
This list is by no means intended as exhaustive, and prospective contestants are highly encouraged to pursue any associated topics suitable to realizing their best submission.
Possible subject matter could include:
- An amazing destination you visited which could only be reached by air.
- A reunion with a special friend or family member which a flight helped to make happen.
- The crew of an air ambulance.
- Some beautiful flowers, or a delicate food perishable, which you never would have experienced or been able to purchase if an air cargo flight hadn’t brought it to your city.
- Women finding new career opportunities through a local airport or airline initiative.
- Young people being trained for new aviation careers.
- A new business arrangement or relationship made possible due to aviation connecting you to the world.
- New air services connecting your community to other cities or countries or cultures you couldn’t visit before.
- A portrait of someone working on a new job which only came about due to a local airport or aviation development project, or the newly realized availability of local air services.
- A pilot or flight attendant whose actions helped keep you or a loved one safe.
- An incredible moment or event in your life that air travel was essential to making happen.
We’re really excited to review your submissions, and thanks in advance for helping us to raise global awareness on the incredible contributions of air travel to modern society.
Please be sure to review the Contest Guidelines to ensure your eligibility and all other requirements.
Aviation Benefits Photo Contest Guidelines
Winning submissions will be selected by the ICAO Communication Unit, based on:
- The quality of the contestant’s submitted photo (70/100 pts)
- The quality of the aviation benefit story associated with the photo (30/100 pts)
Announcement of the Winner
The contest winner and runners-up will be notified on or before 30 October 2017.
Official announcement of the winners will take place on International Civil Aviation Day, on 7 December 2017.
Aviation Benefits Photo Contest Guidelines
- Participants must be at least 18 years of age
- Submitted photos must be original, unpublished works, submitted in JPG or PNG format and minimum 8 megapixels in size.
- Each individual participant may submit up to three (3) photos/texts.
- Entries must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight on 30 October 2017 (EST). Late entries will not be accepted for judging but may be considered for future PR initiatives.
- All submissions must be accompanied by:
- The photographer’s name, nationality, current country of residence, contact details, and date of birth.
- The month/year/location their photo was taken.
- A narrative/description not to exceed 200 words, outlining the aviation benefits being highlighted in the image.
- Signed permission waivers from any persons being prominently depicted in your submitted photos.
Terms and Conditions
- All submissions must respect the contest guidelines.
- ICAO, its officials and agents shall not be responsible or liable for any claims, demands, losses and liability of any kind or nature arising out of or in connection with contributors’ participation in this contest, or their acceptance of its awards.
- Participants represent and warrant that their submitted photo is their original work, that it has not been copied, and that it does not violate the rights of any other person.
- The copyright for any submitted photo(s) shall remain the property of the entrant, but entry in this contest constitutes the entrant’s irrevocable, perpetual permission and consent to ICAO and others authorized by ICAO, without further compensation or attribution, to use, distribute, reproduce or otherwise utilize the submitted photo(s) in whole or in part, in addition to the entrant’s name, city and state, by any means or methods now known or hereafter devised, in any and all media now in existence or hereinafter created, throughout the world, for the duration of the copyright.
- If other faces are prominent in the submitted photo, the entrant is responsible for obtaining consent to submit the photo into the contest and to its publication.
- By entering your photo in the contest, you agree to indemnify, defend, and hold and save harmless, ICAO and its officials, agents, employees, consultants, subcontractors and other representatives from and against all suits, proceedings, claims, demands, losses and liability of any kind or nature brought by any third party against ICAO, including, but not limited to, all litigation costs and expenses, attorney’s fees, settlement payments and damages, based on, arising from, or relating to ICAO’s use of the photo.
- The images must not be disrespectful of the impartiality and independence of the United Nations. The entries must not reflect adversely on ICAO, be incompatible with the aims and objectives of ICAO, be derogatory to any persons depicted in the photo, nor contain any nudity, lewd, or otherwise offensive or inappropriate content.
- ICAO reserves the right to cancel, modify, suspend or delay the contest in the event of unforeseen circumstances beyond their reasonable control. ICAO reserves the right to change, amend, delete or add to these Terms and Conditions at any time.
- Nothing in or relating to the contest or its terms and conditions shall be deemed as a waiver, express or implied, of any of the privileges and immunities enjoyed or which may be enjoyed by ICAO, its officers and staff, either pursuant to the Convention on the Privileges and Immunities of the Specialized Agencies, 1947 or other applicable conventions, agreements, laws or decrees.
- The obligations under these Terms and Conditions do not lapse upon closure of the contest.